Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Coldest Week In a Decade

Yes, this past week has been the coldest week Virginia has had in a decade! You can call me a popsicle because I was FROZEN. But nothing stops the work from moving forward! We were still able to find 5 new investigators this week. I know when we do our best that the Lord magnifies our efforts. 

Update on Roshat, he is progressing SO well! During our third lesson with him ever, he started to testify to us that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God! He kept saying, why wouldn't God call prophets now, He had prophets in the Bible it just makes sense that we would have prophets today as well. Sister Sorensen and I were practically falling off our seats with excitement! He said that he had a dream the other night that we were in the mountains with him and he saw these stones with writing on them and we were studying the Bible. Then that night we came over and taught him the 10 commandments. He said he predicted the future in his dream. So that is pretty cool. Before our lesson he messaged us and said that he wasn't going to be able to make it home in time for the lesson so we could have it at the library or something so he could keep working in Harrisonburg. Then he changed his mind and felt like he needed to go home so he could meet with us. Well, on Sunday he told us, that night he checked his car and the oil was leaking and the oil in his car was really low. So it would have been really bad for him to keep driving. He said that God is watching out for him and blessing him for meeting with us! I am so glad that Roshat is noticing the blessings that come as he lives the gospel and strives to follow Jesus Christ. Roshat was saying that he is going to be the first Kurdish to get baptized! He is really excited for that. I don't know if that is true, but it is nice seeing him so excited to get baptized! 
He came to church on Sunday. This was my first time going to fast Sunday in this area so I had no idea what the testimonies are like here. The Bishop is the first one that bears his testimony. He starts talking about how there are so many people who don't like the church and there are so many anti things out there to tear down the church like, people saying we are a cult, polygamy, Kolob, and he just kept going. Oh my Sister Sorensen and were kind of freaking out inside but Roshat didn't say anything about it so all is well! Roshat has a son named Younes who has been sitting in on some of the lessons. He came to church with his dad this week! They finally were able to stay all three hours. It was a great Sunday! :) 

There is a member in the first ward who comes to institute sometimes and brought his sister a couple of weeks ago. His name is Scott and he is the only member in his family. He faithfully comes to church and is a really great guy. Well, we get a text saying that his sister wants to meet with us! So we go over on Thursday night and she pulled out a Book of Mormon and said she had been reading some of it and some verses stuck out to her. 2 Nephi 25:23-26 talking about teaching their children about Christ. She asked us what that means to us. She had two little kids and want them to have a good life. She has been to a few different churches but hasn't been in a while. Her brother has been such a big example to her and has gotten her to want to come to church as well. Her name is Amanda and we are excited to keep teaching her! It is amazing to see how powerful being an example is. Scott is the only member of his family and they are starting to notice the blessings that come from that. 

This week we went tracting and I thought I was going to die. We had to do it 30 minutes at a time. Only after that short time, I could not feel my toes! People would keep asking us why we were out today, or you picked a bad day to do this, or you need to go home and get warm! But we would keep going. We were still able to give away many Book of Mormons, we promise people that this Book will answer any question they have in their life. The Book of Mormon truly does answer the questions of the soul. "Only the gospel will save the world from the calamity of its own self destruction. Only the gospel will unite men of all races and nationalities in peace. Only the gospel will bring joy, happiness, and salvation to the human family." That is why we kept going! There truly is nothing I would rather be doing. "Forward pressing forward!" 

I was chatting with someone on Facebook this week and he said that we are enemies in the eyes of Christ because of how much we sin. He sent me a link that said, You may have accepted Christ but, has He accepted you? This broke my heart. I truly know that there is nothing that can separate us from His love. That was the motivation the Savior had as he suffered in Gethsemane. That is the motivation that Heavenly Father had as He let His Son suffer and ask if there wasn't another way. I know Heavenly Father will never move away from us, we are the ones who move away from Him. I think about how quick the Lord is to forgive and I know that He wants us to repent so that He can forgive us. That is why He suffered more than man can suffer, so we can be helped and strengthened in any time of need. 
I love this gospel with all my heart. I am grateful for the knowledge I have been given and the opportunity I have to teach what I know. I am grateful that we are able to continue to learn new things each day. I know that Jesus Christ lives and He loves us more than we can imagine. You never have to worry about Christ accepting you because He already did that. He paid the price, now we just have to follow Him. 

LOVE YOU ALL
HAVE A WARM WEEK!
❤ - Sister Ruffner




No comments:

Post a Comment