Tuesday, September 5, 2017

First Floor, First Door

We are doing lots of finding here in Glen Allen, which is so great
because that causes so many miracles!

We get a call in the week from the AP's saying that there is someone
who lives in our area named Roy who wants to come to church! So we
give him a call and give him all of the information he needs and he
says he is excited to come. So we look for him on Sunday and he didn't
show up... so sad. We look up he address and it only has a building
number for an apartment complex. Sister Franks and I say a prayer and
decide to knock on all of the doors until we find him. The first house
we knock on lives this super sweet lady. She was interested in our
message and said we could come back! We asked what her name was,
Eretha and her last name was the same as Roy's! We asked if Roy lives
there and she said that was her husband. Wow! First door, first floor.

We also received another referral from the Spanish elders. They were
walking around these apartments one day when they heard someone
yelling, "no no no!" She yelled back, "yes I'm going to talk to them!"
She went over to them and asked if they could help her. She wants to
stop smoking and help her husband. They set up an appointment and sent
us over there. She said come in the back door so she sees us coming.
When we go to see her she comes out and she just keeps apologizing at
how she is a drinker and is so embarrassed at everything. We told her
that she was fine and that Jesus Christ loves her and that we are here
to help her. She just started to cry and hug us and to cry and to hug
us over and over. Truthfully it was nice to be able to find someone
who recognizes the importance of our message and the effects it can
have on their life. It really built my testimony again on why I am
here. To bring the message of peace and hope to those who need it. The
world is literally going crazy and this is the only thing that can
truly help. Jesus Christ has overcome the world, if we rely on Him we
can too.

The most adorable girl in the whole world got baptized this week on
Wednesday! It was such a sweet baptism. She has worked so hard to be
able to be baptized. Her whole family was able to come along with some
family friends. There was another person there that we didn't
recognize, his name is Peter. We went over and talked to him, he got
baptized about four years ago and has gotten busy with life, but has
decided to start coming back.

Funny story. We stopped by an investigators house the other day we
were planning on dropping because she has dementia we are pretty sure
and not that interested. We knock on her door and no one answers. We
walk outside and there was a guy on her balcony (her son) he said "oh
was that you knocking on the door? Ya I don't answer to Mormons."
Okay... we went to another apartment and on our way back, we saw
Kathy. We asked her how she was and she said, "I'm fine, just looking
for some soul food." "Ooohhh... what's that?" Kathy, "You know the
food black people eat, like collard greens and potato salad." "Oh,
your looking for that in the parking lot?" So apparently we have been
looking in the wrong place for some soul food, so moral of the story
is they only make soul food in parking lots.

The past couple of weeks I have been reading about the life of Jesus
Christ in the scriptures. My testimony of Him has been strengthened so
much! I love my Savior with all of my heart. He truly loves us so
much. He cries with us when we are sad, and He cries with us when we
rejoice. Those days when I start to get lazy, or it is 99 degrees
outside with 80% humidity and we have tracting planned for the next
hour, those are the moments I rely on Him. I think about the last week
of the Saviors life on earth. I think about all He went through and I
am sure at least a couple of times we was tempted to quit. To lay down
and take a nap, to make it all stop, to take a rest. But he didn't. He
kept going, working to the point of exhaustion, working until He
accomplished what He was called to do. And that is what I am going to
do as well. This is hard work. This is the hardest work I have ever
done, but it is also the most rewarding thing I have ever done as
well. The days I want to give up are the days I feel closest to my
Savior. The days that I get the smallest glimpse of what He went
through. That is when the miracles come. When you have worked your
hardest. That is when it is the most rewarding. This church is true.
The Savior is truly the Redeemer of the world, and my very best
friend.

HAVE A BLESSED WEEK!
I LOVE YOU ALL
❤️ Sister Ruffner




No comments:

Post a Comment